[linux-dvb] Re : DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support
eallaud at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 2 00:27:42 CEST 2008
Le 01.09.2008 16:28:43, Mauro Carvalho Chehab a écrit :
> Hi all,
> Thanks for your feedback.
> All of us are waiting for a long time for support for the new DTV
> The idea is not to postpone it, but to be sure that the API changes
> will be
> flexible enough. Once an API change goes to kernel, It may take a
> large amount
> of time for it to be removed. So extra care is taken on patches
> new kernel to userspace API.
> I dunno if you are aware of how kernel development cycles are.
> There is a short period of 2 weeks for merging API changes and driver
> improvements. This starts when a new kernel is released. After that 2
> period, a bug fix period starts. We are currently under bug fix
> kernel 2.6.27, at release candidate 5 (-rc5).
> So, the minimum Kernel release that we may expect to add support for
> protocols is 2.6.28.
> In general, a kernel bug fix cycle goes up to -rc8 or -rc9, being one
> release by week. So, 2.6.27 kernel is likely to be released sometime
> after the
> end of Plumbers conf.
> So, there's no gain of merging the API changes and the corresponding
> drivers now.
> Since several active Linuxtv maintainers will be at the conf for the
> Input Infrastructure Miniconf, this will give us a perfect
> working together, carefully examining the technical details of both
> and finish whatever is needed for the addition of API changes as soon
> possible and submit feedbacks to the ML.
> So, it is very likely that we'll add support for those protocols for
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:24:10 +0200
> Jelle De Loecker <skerit at kipdola.com> wrote:
> > You said everything that needed to be said, I agree with you 100 %
> > I vote for the merging of multiproto.
> > /Met vriendelijke groeten,/
> > *Jelle De Loecker*
> > Kipdola Studios - Tomberg
> > VDR User schreef:
> > > After some consideration, I can not ack this new api proposal. I
> > > believe a lot of the support for it is based in people not
> > > current state of multiproto and thinking this might be the only
> > > to new needed drivers. It hasn't helped that there has been some
> > > misinformation spread such as the binary compatibility and so on.
> > > There is a current pull request for multiproto right now and if
> > > drivers could start being developed right now. In the end that's
> > > matters to users, especially those of us who've been patiently
> > > several months or even years.
> > >
> > > To my knowledge the multiproto api is very robust and can be
> > > updated to accommodate new modulations, etc. From a technical
> > > standpoint, I can't justify disregarding all the work thats been
> > > on multiproto, especially when it's finally ready to go. In
> > > own response to the pull request, he admits the multiproto code
> > > complete. Unless someone can provide legitimate reasons why we
> > > wait for yet another api to be written when multiproto is
> > > ready to be pulled now, I'm afraid I can't support the idea.
> > >
> > > People have been waiting to move forward with a new api for a
> > > time and it seems we can with multiproto right now, today. I
> > > agree that makes a very strong case of too little, too late.
> > > it's openly admitted or not, I think we're mostly all aware that
> > > is some personal politics involved in this as well, which is
> > > unfortunate. Hopefully people will be mature enough to put that
> > > and do what's best for us, the linux dvb user base, as a whole.
> > > learning that multiproto is ready and there's no technical reason
> > > against it, I wonder how many people still choose to wait for
> > > api to be written..?
> > >
> > > Best regards guys!
> > >
May I suggest that a short but solid technical explanation leading to
the final choice be posted here to avoid any confusion.
More information about the linux-dvb