[linux-dvb] [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements

Marcel Siegert mws at linuxtv.org
Thu Sep 25 12:40:20 CEST 2008

Mauro Carvalho Chehab schrieb:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:
>> A discussion between people who were already decided what to state
>> beforehand, i must say.
> Not true at all.
> Only 3 persons were Americans. Yet, 2 of them living at the oposite coast 
> of US. So, even for they, a long trip (5 hours of time fuse).
> All the others there came from other continents: Europe, South America, 
> Asia. On most cases, people took 2 days to arrive there, and 2 other days 
> to return back home, for a 2,5 day meeting.
> Some of them even payed the expenses from their own pockets.

Nice, if people can afford this "sparetime" and the money, or even they get
paid to attend ...

> We all suffered a lot from Jet Leg effects, geting 5 or more hours of 
> difference at the time fuse.
> We all now have a big list of pending work that accumulated due to the 1 
> week spent with the trips.
> People woudln't do at all such big efforts just to say: "me too", or to do 
> some sort of political arrangement. If there was a previous decision, it 
> would be a way easy to announce it via email.
> People went there because:
>  	- They want a better future for video input infrastructure;
>  	- They think that people make difference;
>  	- They want to solve pending things;
>  	- They believe that being together is the way for fixing social 
> issues at the community.
> So, all people there put a lot of resources for what they believe 
> it is the right way to do. Please respect.
> I understand that you are unhappy with the results of the vote, but it 
> was a fair decision.

from my POV i can absolutely not say it was a fair decision

your mail - when i asked why multiproto doesn't get pulled - contained
some small statements


- I didn't have time yet to do carefully inspect the latest version of the
  multiproto. I suspect that nobody did it yet, since I didn't see any technical
  analysis of the current proposal.

- I'll carefully review multiproto proposal during my trip, and compare it
  with the Stoth's proposal.

- As I've already explained, merging today or after Plumbers won't make any
  practical difference. The upstream merge will only happen after 2.6.27 being
  released, due to the next kernel window for merging patches. This is a major
  change at API and claims for a carefully analysis.

--snippets end---

now, lets get to the point:
 you told me you are going to analyse the code and compare it
 you told me its a important API change and must be carefully analysed
 you NEVER told me and all the other, that there will be a FINAL DECISION what
 api will be merged or when.

 so, even if the S2Api decision might come out as right in the future, you 
 didn't act like a maintainer at all - for me it looks like a dictatorship.
 a kind and detailed information and then a vote/poll would have been a 
 real community decision. 
 i do understand when devs/users like oliver take their decisions to leave the

my 2ct 
on a disgracing act of being a maintainer


> Cheers,
> Mauro.
> _______________________________________________
> linux-dvb mailing list
> linux-dvb at linuxtv.org
> http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/linux-dvb

More information about the linux-dvb mailing list