[linux-dvb] [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements
mrechberger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 12:45:51 CEST 2008
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Marcel Siegert <mws at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab schrieb:
>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:
>>> A discussion between people who were already decided what to state
>>> beforehand, i must say.
>> Not true at all.
>> Only 3 persons were Americans. Yet, 2 of them living at the oposite coast
>> of US. So, even for they, a long trip (5 hours of time fuse).
>> All the others there came from other continents: Europe, South America,
>> Asia. On most cases, people took 2 days to arrive there, and 2 other days
>> to return back home, for a 2,5 day meeting.
>> Some of them even payed the expenses from their own pockets.
> Nice, if people can afford this "sparetime" and the money, or even they get
> paid to attend ...
>> We all suffered a lot from Jet Leg effects, geting 5 or more hours of
>> difference at the time fuse.
>> We all now have a big list of pending work that accumulated due to the 1
>> week spent with the trips.
>> People woudln't do at all such big efforts just to say: "me too", or to do
>> some sort of political arrangement. If there was a previous decision, it
>> would be a way easy to announce it via email.
>> People went there because:
>> - They want a better future for video input infrastructure;
>> - They think that people make difference;
>> - They want to solve pending things;
>> - They believe that being together is the way for fixing social
>> issues at the community.
>> So, all people there put a lot of resources for what they believe
>> it is the right way to do. Please respect.
>> I understand that you are unhappy with the results of the vote, but it
>> was a fair decision.
> from my POV i can absolutely not say it was a fair decision
> your mail - when i asked why multiproto doesn't get pulled - contained
> some small statements
> - I didn't have time yet to do carefully inspect the latest version of the
> multiproto. I suspect that nobody did it yet, since I didn't see any technical
> analysis of the current proposal.
> - I'll carefully review multiproto proposal during my trip, and compare it
> with the Stoth's proposal.
> - As I've already explained, merging today or after Plumbers won't make any
> practical difference. The upstream merge will only happen after 2.6.27 being
> released, due to the next kernel window for merging patches. This is a major
> change at API and claims for a carefully analysis.
> --snippets end---
> now, lets get to the point:
> you told me you are going to analyse the code and compare it
> you told me its a important API change and must be carefully analysed
> you NEVER told me and all the other, that there will be a FINAL DECISION what
> api will be merged or when.
> so, even if the S2Api decision might come out as right in the future, you
> didn't act like a maintainer at all - for me it looks like a dictatorship.
> a kind and detailed information and then a vote/poll would have been a
> real community decision.
> i do understand when devs/users like oliver take their decisions to leave the
> my 2ct
> on a disgracing act of being a maintainer
what's the matter of merging both? please let us discuss that, the
APIs shouldn't have a big impact on each other.
Does it break someone's neck to have both?
More information about the linux-dvb