[linux-dvb] Need help with Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1290 (with Conexant cx-23888 chip & Samsung tuner, ATSC/QAM, Media Center, IR Remote)

Scott Price scottpricepdx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 02:04:54 CEST 2009

Hello, I'm relatively new to Linux (Ubuntu Jaunty 64) on an HP Quad-core AMD
64, 2.8Mhz, 8 GB RAM. This card does not seem to be supported (as of yet),
however, I was able to get the driver to load (cx23885) using the insmod
option for card=20 (Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1255 I think) with no errors. I have
downloaded all of the latest v4l-dvb drivers using HG, and tried to download
the firmware, but the documentation that came with 2.6.26-15-generic points
to an ftp site at Hauppauge that is not there any more. After trying card=20
with insmod, I did a make distclean and re-installed the v4l-dvb with no
errors. It looked as if it loaded the firmware with that install, and
created a dvb folder under /dev with an adapter0. From this point I am
stuck. I can't reboot without losing the card=20 for the module, it goes
back to card=0 generic with automatic detection. None of the TV software
will recognize the card -- still. Can someone tell me what to do to save the
card info and get a TV program to work? I would be very grateful.

Thank you.