ASUS My Cinema-U3100 Mini
This is my newbie contribution to the ASUS My Cinema U3100 Mini (USB stick). It is only to display a few basic stuff, how I got this thing partially working, maybe someone can improve the page later with more details. I tested it on Debian wheezy distribution and the module seems to be integrated into the Debian stock kernel, so I didn't have to recompile the kernel.
I plug in the stick and dmesg shows this information:
# dmesg [ 4536.212042] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci_hcd [ 4536.344952] usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0b05, idProduct=173f [ 4536.344959] usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3 [ 4536.344964] usb 1-3: Product: ASUS DVBT Tuner [ 4536.344968] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: ASUSTeK [ 4536.344972] usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 8500500875 [ 4536.346074] dvb-usb: found a 'ASUS My Cinema U3100 Mini DVBT Tuner' in cold state, will try to load a firmware [ 4536.384295] dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw' [ 4536.595697] dib0700: firmware started successfully. [ 4537.096244] dvb-usb: found a 'ASUS My Cinema U3100 Mini DVBT Tuner' in warm state. [ 4537.096350] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer. [ 4537.096494] DVB: registering new adapter (ASUS My Cinema U3100 Mini DVBT Tuner) [ 4537.313691] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)... [ 4537.535071] DiB0070: successfully identified [ 4537.535090] Registered IR keymap rc-dib0700-rc5 [ 4537.535497] input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-3/rc/rc3/input14 [ 4537.535747] rc3: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-3/rc/rc3 [ 4537.535944] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs. [ 4537.535951] dvb-usb: ASUS My Cinema U3100 Mini DVBT Tuner successfully initialized and connected.
I had problems using (dvb)scan, but w_scan works. I used it to create the channels.conf file for MPlayer. It is important that you add the -M parameter otherwise you will receive default w_scan init strings, which will not work for MPlayer. Creating such config file works also for VLC player.
# w_scan -ft -M >> ~/.mplayer/channels.conf
Then to start MPlayer just type:
# mplayer dvb://
At this point I get some partial reception with errors, I am not sure either because of bad reception (weak signal/antenna) or due to some bugs, which I wasn't able to resolve yet. Alternativelly I tried also using VLC software which gives me better results than using MPlayer, where I receive stream with sound/partial image, but I get lots of cubes so the picture isn't clear there. If you get scrambled reception with framedrop it might be because of the weak signal (if you are trying it indoors). So test it somewhere outside or on the balcony to see if this is the issue for the bad quality video. This was the problem in my case, even having opened balcony doors or windows stenghtens the signal.