/dev/dvb0 missing?

Hi..

I'm fairly new to all this and only bought my dish and LNBs yesterday,
only for the purpose of trying DVB on Linux. I _really_ like this
project, big thanks to everyone who makes it possible :)

I bought a Hauppauge WinTV/DVB-S, which is identical to the
Fujitsu-Siemens DVB-S card as far as I've been told. I only did this
because the Fujitsu card seems to be available in Germany only, and I
can't get my hands on one without paying at least DM 700.-. The WinTV
cost me only 400.- at a local store.

Anyway, I tried installing the card in my K6-2/450 box but then ran into
numerous compiler problems apparently stemming from a bug in the K6-2. I
haven't recompiled my kernel before so I didn't know about this problem
until it hit me. This set me back a few hours, but now I have a fresh
Linux AND the card installed on my other box (PIII/500).

When I try to do a make insmod to get the DVB driver up and running, all
I get is a /dev/dvb0 - device not found. How do I get the system to
recognize the new device?

I'm sorry if I'm asking tremendously stupid questions or if this is a
"not our business - RTFM" thing, but I've never used Linux for anything
like this. All I ever did install were SCSI host adapters, sound cards
and the like, which simply worked..

Thanks to anyone who can offer help.

Ramon (hoping Netscape got my identity right this time)

PS  Is there an IRC channel where we could meet?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index