Re: dvb.o: unresolved symbol memset

Ivo Simicevic wrote

> I am still getting this error while "make insmod"
>
> dvb.o: unresolved symbol memset
>
> Kernel is 2.2.14 (Debian). Anyone can help?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ivo.

Yes in Debian 2.1 it is problem due to bugs in gcc.

Let us see to dvb.c at function getMAC(...)

It is correct in c language to write

    u8 k0[5] = { 0x54, 0x7B, 0x9E };

but buggy gcc must initialize all five elements so it add function memset.
But when you compile kernel module there is no such function - and then
you cann't load such module.

Solution: add yourself all 5 elements like this

    u8 k0[5] = { 0x54, 0x7B, 0x9E, 0, 0 };
    u8 k1[5] = { 0xD3, 0xF1, 0x23, 0, 0 };

and then you can compile and load module.

Although it is bug in gcc it is not good practice
to let compiler to make decision instead of author.

Tony Sedlak <ased@cce.cz>

Home | Main Index | Thread Index