data & tv broadcasts

Lucian Fratila writes:
 > Just wondering if there is any way that I could watch a TV channel while
 > using the data services (i.e. EON). The card that I have is a Technitrend,
 > running under linux (dvbd 0.5, kernel 2.2.15). I guess it's a problem with
 > the video4linux driver, as it doesn't allow /dev/video to be used by more
 > than one program at a time. Or it's the card that doesn't support it?

Well, show me one card which can receive more than one transponder at
the same time. You would need 2 antenna cables (if the transponders
are on different polarizations, frequency bands, satellites), 2
tuners, 2 DVB decoders and 2 demultiplexers. Just buy another card!

As long as the data service is not on the same transponder of course
you cannot watch TV and receive data services at the same time on one card.
Data services on the same transponder as the TV channel (like SI
information, Teletext, AC3 stream, even other TV channels) can be
received at the same time.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index