Re: data & tv broadcasts

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> [...]
>
> As long as the data service is not on the same transponder of course
> you cannot watch TV and receive data services at the same time on one card.
> Data services on the same transponder as the TV channel (like SI
> information, Teletext, AC3 stream, even other TV channels) can be
> received at the same time.

I'd like to add AC3 ("Dolby Digital") capabilities to the VDR project.
Is there any information available on how to extract AC3 data from
the digital data stream? I take it it's not part of the AV_PES audio
data blocks, so the questions are:

- how to get the AC3 data?
- should it be stored on disk together with the AV_PES data (in one
  file) or as a separate file?
- in case of separate files: how will the AV_PES data and the AC3 data
  be synchronized when replayed?
- what is the typical physical connection between an AC3 source and
  an AC3 decoder (Cinch, optical...)?

Any information on this would be greatly apreciated.

Klaus Schmidinger