Re: Video Recording

Georg Thoma wrote:
> My goal is to record the MPEG2 Stream broadcasted an burn it as a SVCD
> to watch i on my DVD player.

I believe this is a great idea.

Of course, we would also need tools to cut the
advertising out and to create chunks of exactly
one SVCD (~700 MB) each.

> I know the windows DVB software records a .PVA or .PAV file which is the
>
> MPEG2 Stream plus some other signals. There is software to convert .PVA
> or .PAV
> to real MPEG2 but it didn't work with the .vdr file of the VDR-Project.

Last time I tried, the windows PVA to MPEG2 converter by
Technotrend (http://www.technotrend.de/Software_DVB.htm)
worked with files recorded under Linux. However, Nero 5.0
refused to burn the resulting file onto an SVCD...

Of course, it would be much more useful to have a tool
that does this directly under Linux. I even believe that
a standard MPEG-2 system stream rather than non-standard
PVA data ought to come directly out of the DVB driver.

If that is not possible, maybe we can convince Klaus
Schmidinger to extend his VDR, so it creates and accepts
standard MPEG-2 system streams?

In the meantime, have you taken a look at DVB/apps/mpg2mpg.cc?

I heard rumors that convercence also has another internal
tool that can convert between PVA and MPEG2. Would anyone
from convergence care to comment on that?

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index