Re: a different kind of video recorder?

Guido Fiala wrote:

> What is if you want to use the DVB card directly within your desktop computer,
> not like Klaus Schmidingers's extra box?
>
> I thought about a program with just the features of Klaus' one, but not using
> the on-screen-display - using X-dialogs and displaying the video as overlay just
> like gVideo does.

It should not be too hard to extend Klaus' Program
to be able to display the video in an X window.

> For recording i thought of using the "at" and "cron" daemons, think we do not
> need to invent the wheel again ;-)

Of course this is easily possible right now, but you
would gain very little by it. Klaus' vdr program has a
smaller CPU usage than the cron daemon.

> BTW, does the Siemens card support simultanous record/playback for different
> sources - e.g. recording one program while viewing a pre-recorded file?

AFAIK, the card kind-of-supports it (DMA can only go
one way at a time), but the current driver does not.

> I have probably not the time and experience to write such a program all on my
> own, but i would like to help programing if someone or more would participate...

Give Klaus' software a try.
The more I use it, the more I like it.
As I said earlier in another threat: it would make a lot
more sense  to work together improving Klaus' video
recorder rather than starting another one.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index