Re: a different kind of video recorder?

Am Thu, 13 Jul 2000 schriebst Du:
>Carsten Koch writes:
> >
> > It should not be too hard to extend Klaus' Program
> > to be able to display the video in an X window.
> >
>He may be able the gtvscreen  widget, which provides the display part
>for gVideo and is supposed to be used by a variety of programs. gVideo
>actually started out as a simple program to test the gtvscreen widget
>and grew a lot when all the dvb stuff was added.
> >
> > > For recording i thought of using the "at" and "cron" daemons, think we do not
> > > need to invent the wheel again ;-)
> >
> > Of course this is easily possible right now, but you
> > would gain very little by it. Klaus' vdr program has a
> > smaller CPU usage than the cron daemon.
> >

> > > BTW, does the Siemens card support simultanous record/playback for different
> > > sources - e.g. recording one program while viewing a pre-recorded file?
> >
> > AFAIK, the card kind-of-supports it (DMA can only go
> > one way at a time), but the current driver does not.
>The card was never ment to support it. Ralph tries very hard to do it,
>but I guess it will never work as smooth as one would like it to.

Think, even without DMA transfer system load will be better than software
decoding, probably even with hardware accelerated Xv support.

> > > I have probably not the time and experience to write such a program all on my
> > > own, but i would like to help programing if someone or more would participate...
> >
> > Give Klaus' software a try.
> > The more I use it, the more I like it.
> > As I said earlier in another threat: it would make a lot
> > more sense  to work together improving Klaus' video
> > recorder rather than starting another one.
> >
>Maybe we should start some project to do that, or try to fit it
>together with the oms project which is supposed to become a universal
>media player for linux.

Not sure if a media _player_ is the right concept for a video _recorder_,
the 2 parts should be kept completly separate programs, IMHO. (what should have
priority for the tuner? maybe make it user-configurable)

So, and let's test the new driver ;-)

Guido

Home | Main Index | Thread Index