Re: a different kind of video recorder?

Guido Fiala wrote:

> One thing at first:
> Carsten, i wonder why are you sending those mails only "CC"
> linux-dvb and in parallel "TO" special persons?

No intention behind it.
I simply press the "reply all" button (like I
usually do on all mails) and simply do not edit the
recipient list at all. Same thing in this reply.

> Of course that would be great, the major problem in the first instance would be
> displaying the OSD in the overlay, AFAIK it's only shown at the AV-out?

Klaus' software has an option that allows you to display the
OSD in the shell window (using ncurses). This may not be exactly
what you want, but better than not seeing it at all.

> -think it needs better keyboard support - it just takes to much time to jump
> from one channel to another

Maybe one could add one or more additional channel
menus, one with a two-step hierarchy "genre/channel",
one with two-step hierarchy "first letter of channel
name/channel", some with a flat hierarchy but channels
sorted according to various criteria (channel name,
buquet, etc.). All pretty straightforward stuff.

However, it turns out that Klaus VDR got me out of
the habit of switching channels. I click the stuff I
want once a week in the internet EPG and when I
watch TV, I no longer switch between channels (which
usually show stuff I do not want or stuff that I
do want, but which is almost over) but between recordings.
Think about it! It's really a much better quality.
Thanks again, Klaus!

> or to type in a file name

I have NEVER typed in a file name using the remote
control. Why should I? The timers.conf has always
been plain text. Now, as I have the Web-EPG, I
do not even have to type in the names at all, I just
click on the stuff I want during the next 7 days.
One click per recording plus one shell command to
copy the results over the LAN to the VDR. Works
great for me.

> -as i said, i want to archive videos on streamer (not while recording, but
> i think it would go - despite windows crashes if i try it there ;-)

When I started using Klaus' VDR, I had the same desire
(archive the stuff to SVCDs and watch them later on my
DVD player). I might still like that, but it has gotten
a much lower priority after I realized that I will never
have the time to watch them. Even if I record only the
best science programs and the occasional movie, I simply
do not have enough time to watch as much old stuff as
there is new stuff coming in every day.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index