some thoughts on /dev/video ...

Of course making a standard device for video sounds good.

But what about different functionality?

Analog TV can not be recorded or played-back the same as dvb.
(not practicable, but theoretically)

So long it's not 100% compatible, it makes module-autoloading difficult, try
the following:

You have a bttv card and a dvb card - if you press the xawtv-icon
all the drivers should load automatically and it should open the right
/dev/video* device. Then you press the gVideo-icon and the same with the
dvb-modules. It should work independend from order.

How can we solve this trouble? The most easy would be a different device-major.

Another thing is the current modul-name identity for tuner.o and msp3400.o.
I know, it's work in progress, but is it intended that you need just one tuner.o
(and one msp3400.o) for all the different cards, with different tuners in your
system? Is it not recommended to change module-names?

Please flame me if i'am wrong ;-)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index