Re: remote DVB watching ?

Kassian Plankensteiner wrote:

> Hi, i got a few questions and I hope someone can answer them.
> I got my DVB card in my firewall/server and want to watch Astra Digital
> TV from INSIDE the network, is this possible ?
>
> My LAN looks like this.
>
> INTERNET <- Server (DVB) <---> Linux workstation
>
> The workstation is masqueraded and squid'ed for EON access.
> Is there any chance to run something like gVideo on the Linux
> workstation to watch TV from the DVB card in the server ?

I do not think you can run gVideo on the server and redirect
its X window to the Linux workstation using the DISPLAY environment
variable, because AFAIK gVideo uses an overlay created by the
DVB card to display the video, which can obviously not work in
a remote X window.

What you CAN do is: use Klaus Schmidinger's vdr
   http://www.cadsoftusa.com/~kls/vdr
to record video files on the server, copy the files over the net
to your local linux workstation and display them there (convert
them from PVA to MPEG and use any MPEG viewer to watch them).

> The tuning doesn't have to come from the workstation, i can tune from
> the server, that would be o.k.

Yes, but be aware that the DVB card cannot receive two transponders
at the same time, so when you tune into a TV transponder, you cannot
receive data (from EON or whatever) and vice versa.

> The easiest way would be to link the workstations /dev/video's to the
> servers /dev/video's but i guess that's not possible.

sure it's possible. You would have to find a software that plays back
PVA without a DVB card, though. If you find (or make) such a thing,
you could do a
      rsh server cat /dev/video | "pva player"
(assuming that your LAN is fast enough).

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index