Re: remote DVB watching ?

MK wrote:

> Do you think it would be possible to convert a pva stream to mpeg2 in real time?

Yes, definitely.
There is no de- or re-compression involved.

> Are the specs for this format available?

I do not think the PVA specs are public.
Maybe the convergence people can answer this and
post a link to the specs if this is legal.

> what about getting real mpeg2 output right out of the card?

That would definitely be the best solution.
I do not think there is any need for the PVA format at all.

> The resulting mpeg2 stream could then be multicasted on the local net, and any client
> application understanding RTP could be used...

Yes, that would be great.

Carsten.

> > Kassian Plankensteiner wrote:
> > > That throws up another question:
> > > What's the average bandwidth of a normal Digital TV stream ?
> >
> > about 3 MBit/sec.
> >

> > > As far as I understand you can watch the /dev/video output with any
> > > video4linux application (read: xtvscreen) .... Am i completely wrong
> > > here ?
> >
> > You do not have /dev/video and the matching driver and card local
> > on the remote machine, so your problem is to watch a PVA stream on
> > a machine that does not have a /dev/video that accepts PVA.
> >
> > I would believe that you have to do as I said: convert the PVA to
> > MPEG and use an MPEG viewer. But I'd be glad if you can prove me
> > wrong. :-)
> >
> > Try it out and let me know your results.
> >

> > Carsten.

  | Carsten Koch                       E-Mail:  ckoch@ptc.com  |
  | Team Leader Surf Architecture and Graphical User Interface |
  | ICEM Technologies GmbH                Fax: +49-4286-1608   |
  | Waldsiedlung 7                      Phone: +49-4286-920001 |
  | 27404 Elsdorf-Hatzte, Germany        http://www.icem.com   |