Re: remote DVB watching ?

"Ralph Metzler <" wrote:

> Carsten Koch writes:
>  > > > > what about getting real mpeg2 output right out of the card?
>  > > > That would definitely be the best solution.
>  > > > I do not think there is any need for the PVA format at all.
>  > >
>  > > Afaik it is a firmware restriction, so it is the only way right now
>  > > until Technotrend changes their firmware.
>  >
>  > I thought convergence has source for the firmware?
>  > Would it not be possible to repair the firmware so
>  > it outputs proper MPEG?
>  > If not, would it not at least be possible to repair
>  > the firmware so the data sent by it would it make
>  > easier for the driver to convert it to proper MPEG?
>  >
>  > In any event I think it is a bad idea to see a proprietary
>  > data format at any place outside the driver.
>  >
>  > I believe even Technotrend has realized that - in spite
>  > of the fact that they were the ones who made that design
>  > mistake in the first place. That's why they wrote the
>  > external converter. It would be nice if Linux were smarter
>  > and would not expose the PVA format at all.
>
> We are working on that and I hope that the next version of the driver
> will not externally deal with PVA files anymore (besides backwards
> compatibility for playback).

If this means that reading /dev/video would no longer deliver AV_PES
packets, this would immediately break 'vdr' :-(

Scanning the AV_PES packets to see which is video and which is audio,
and how long they are, is probably a lot easier than scanning actual
MPEG2. So I'd vote for having at least the option of getting the packets
the way we get them now.

Klaus