Re: remote DVB watching ?

Am Tue, 01 Aug 2000 schriebst Du:
>Carsten Koch wrote:
>>
>> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> > If this means that reading /dev/video would no longer deliver AV_PES
>> > packets, this would immediately break 'vdr' :-(
>>
>> Being a vdr user myself, I would of course be unhappy
>> if vdr would not function for a while with new drivers.
>>
>> On the other hand, standards are the way to go.
>
>Well, that's of course true.

But it will require a little bit more CPU-time.

>> I heard rumors that later this year a cheap MPEG compression
>> board will be available. I am sure this could be very useful
>> for VDR (to have vdr record from arbitrary video sources) and
>> I would expect that this board produces standard MPEG, not
>> AV_PES.
>
>Such an option would certainly be very interesting!

Yes, would be great, but i'am running out of PCI-Slots already ;-(
It is a compression/decompression board i assume?
What kind of inputs does it provide - spec already available somewhere?

>> So my question is: will it really be hard to port vdr to
>> standard MPEG?
>
>Well, I'm sure it can be done. What we need is to detect the
>beginning of each video frame and audio data block. There is
>already quite a bit of code in vdr to detect the frame type,
>but detecting the audio data would still have to be implemented.
>
>Well, let's see what the driver developers come up with.

Please don't forget a tool for converting already made AV_PES-files into
MPEG2...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index