Re: remote DVB watching ?

Carsten Koch wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > If this means that reading /dev/video would no longer deliver AV_PES
> > packets, this would immediately break 'vdr' :-(
>
> Being a vdr user myself, I would of course be unhappy
> if vdr would not function for a while with new drivers.
>
> On the other hand, standards are the way to go.

Well, that's of course true.

> I heard rumors that later this year a cheap MPEG compression
> board will be available. I am sure this could be very useful
> for VDR (to have vdr record from arbitrary video sources) and
> I would expect that this board produces standard MPEG, not
> AV_PES.

Such an option would certainly be very interesting!

> So my question is: will it really be hard to port vdr to
> standard MPEG?

Well, I'm sure it can be done. What we need is to detect the
beginning of each video frame and audio data block. There is
already quite a bit of code in vdr to detect the frame type,
but detecting the audio data would still have to be implemented.

Well, let's see what the driver developers come up with.

Klaus