problems logging into Europe Online

I'm trying to set up Internet over satellite on a standalone linux box.
(Actually, the machine is on a lan and already has high speed access.  I am
configuring the DVB board for demonstration purposes.)  For the time being, I am
not setting up a local squid proxy.  GVideo works.  dvbd from the dvbd2.tar.gz
package is running.  When I ping the proxy server for transponder 113
(194.177.32.11) I get duplicate responses; one over eth0, and one over dvb0.
ifconfig shows incoming packets on dvb0.

When I try to use the Europe Online proxy in Netscape, I get "proxy
authorization failed".  I know that my password is correct, because I can use it
to log into www.europeonline.net  (it's the same password in both places,
right?)

Any
ideas?