Re: Siemens card and SPDIF

lars@skynet.e.ruhr.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was thinking about buying a Dolby Digital receiver and was wondering if
> it was possible to connect the SPDIF signal from J2 to it via a coaxial
> cable.

I tried that and was not pleased with the results:

1.  AC-3 does not work.
    I think Ralph has explained in a previous post
    that the hardware is no capable of generating it.

2.  I experienced intermittent signal drops.
    My receiver's "digital input" light flickered and
    the sound went off for about half a second every
    few minutes.
    I never found out wether that was a driver, firmware
    or hardware problem.
    My receiver's digital input works fine with my CD
    player, so the problem is not at it's end.

> As I understand it at least Pro7 broadcasts DD. Does the card send it to
> the digital output.

No, see above.

> Does it work on recorded streams as well or does it
> just output the regular stereo sound?

Just stereo. On recordings as well, though.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index