RGB to S-Video

lars@skynet.e.ruhr.de writes:
 > here is another question about the signals on J2 on the Siemens card:
 >
 > Is it possible to convert the RGB signals there to S-Video. The signal
 > qualitiy of the Composite output is IMHO not that great. It's not so
 > obvious for movies but the on screen menus look really bad. So I was
 > wondering how to improve the image quality. RGB should be better, but I
 > don't think my TV can handle RGB input, but it has a S-Video connector.

The firmware offers switching between 4 output modes.

NO_OUT
CVBS_RGB_OUT  -  Composite on Composite-Out, RGB on RGB-out
CVBS_YC_OUT   -  Composite on Composite-Out, C on RED-out, Y on GREEN-out
YC_OUT        -  Y on Composite-out, C on RED-out

So, you can use CVBS + (RGB or YC) or only YC output.

You can use:

VidMode(dvb, CVBS_YC_OUT);

inside the driver to set the card to the CVBS+YC mode.
Hmm, should I add an insmod parameter or an ioctl() for this?

I should mention that I never tried this.
IŽll have to get myself a connectors for J2 and S-Video plugs to
connect it to my TV first.
I donŽt know if the pins deliver the right signal levels.
Too bad they did not add all the cables to the sat card like with
the cable card.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index