Re: Siemens card and SPDIF

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 11:20:00PM +0000, Peter Hofmann wrote:

> I have a DVB-C (cable) card and an Onkyo AV receiver. Playback via the coaxial
> SPDIF connection of the DVB-C card works perfectly without any problems.

Well. At least that's good news.

> I also have a Hoontech Digital 4DWave NX soundcard with coaxial and optical
> SPDIF outputs that are supported by the ALSA sound drivers. In the current CVS
> releases these drivers should be able to program the relevant header bits of
> the SPDIF frame so that AC3 output is possible. ALSA development is in constant
> flux, however, so I was not able to get a working combination of ALSA driver
> and ac3play program, yet.

Mmmh, that sounds interesting. I was eyeing with such a card for quite
some time now. At the moment I'm still more than happy with my good ol'
Gravis UltraSound Classic, but I guess my next mainboard won't have ISA
slots. Tough luck. But I guess, I'm getting a slight bit off topic.

How is the card supposed to get the AC3-Stream? I guess cat mpeg2 >
/dev/video won't work then. But I'm certain that once this works it will
work with all the available tools (VDR, gVideo).

> So, in short, the pieces are all there, but things must stabilize a little bit.
> And you need a soundcard capable of outputting AC3.

That sounds great. Thanks.

cu,
Lars

--
Nach der Aufdeckung des Skandals um versteckte ID-Nummern hat Microsoft
auf Anforderung [...] eine Stellungnahme abgeliefert. Sie enthaelt

Home | Main Index | Thread Index