Re: Siemens card and SPDIF

Hi,

On Sep 19,  1:29, Lars Bensmann wrote:
> Subject: Re: Siemens card and SPDIF
 slots. Tough luck. But I guess, I'm getting a slight bit off topic.

> How is the card supposed to get the AC3-Stream? I guess cat mpeg2 >
> /dev/video won't work then. But I'm certain that once this works it will
> work with all the available tools (VDR, gVideo).
>-- End of excerpt from Lars Bensmann

You can't send the AC3 through the video device. The AC3 stream must go to the
audio device. There are two programs (ac3play, www.alsaplayer.org; ac3spdif,
URL posted on this list) that use the ALSA interface to output to the audio
device's SPDIF connection.

Klaus Schmidingers VDR's would have to be modified to use the ALSA interface.

There is a program called dvdplayer-0.2 (DVD playback through DVB cards, URL
posted on this list) that splits the VOB files on DVDs into an MPEG-2 video
stream going to /dev/video and a audio stream that is downmixed to Dolby
Surround by the ac3dec program (www.linuxvideo.org). ac3dec has to be replaced
by ac3play or ac3spdif to get Dolby Digital playback.

Greetings

Peter

--
Peter Hofmann                  e-mail: junk@pxh.de