Re: VDR recording glitches

Deti Fliegl wrote:

> I am using a K6-233 with an Intel TX-chipset and 80Mbytes RAM. My
> harddisks are some IBM 10GByte drives in DMA mode.
> When I switch off the DMA mode (with hdparm -d 0 /dev/hdX) I run into
> the same problems as you guys mentioned.

Good.
That supports the fact that this problem is very real.

> ... das ist aber auch kein Wunder :)

with optimum buffering strategies in the kernel and
in the driver, I would not expect to see these
problems, before the average disk transfer rate goes
below the average rate of data coming from the card.

As far as I remember, even with DMA off, the average
disk transfer rate is still more than a factor of two
faster than the average rate of data coming from the card.

So, I'd say we're seeing a driver bug (or at least a
driver weakness) here.

Ralph, what do you think?

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index