Re: Stream's format handle by the Siemens board and the VDR

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > What I mean is the format which the new 0.7 driver delivers by default (PS_STREAM).
> > I was under the impression that this is what's generally referred to as MPEG2,
> > but I may be wrong. Anyway, VDR will the work with the data which the driver
> > delivers by default.
>
> Excellent!
>
> That probably means, that after this it will only be
> a small step until we can play back DVDs and VCDs in
> VDR.
>
> Does anyone know if the PS_STREAM/MPEG2 format can be
> directly (i.e. without de- and re-compression) copied
> to SVCDs? According to
>    http://www.cdrinfo.com/articles/svcd
> an SVCD requires MPEG-2 streams at 480x576 resolution,
> VBR up to 2.6 Mbps.

I haven't seen many broadcasts done at 480x576.
Unfortunately any resolution change means re-encoding.
Broadcast bitrates also seem usually more than 2.6 Mbps

On the other hand, having a pseudo-svcd with a resolution
and bitrate other than the "standard" would be a problem only
with some standalone hardware players.
Playing it through the dvb-s card or through a software player should
work O.K.

Another area where there would potentially be some problems with third party
players: the GOP sizes. Players are usually optimized for dvd-like GOPs
Has anybody tested what GOP structures are we getting with
different broadcasts?

Max

Home | Main Index | Thread Index