Re: VDR recording glitch

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Ralph Metzler < wrote:

>   The disk might be fast anough but data is first written to the
>   buffer memory. When the cache is full it suddenly has to write very
>   much data and might not be able to free the MPEG buffer quickly enough.
>   Does VDR support uncached writing?
>

> Ralph

This may be completely of the wall, (I have not extensively looked at the
driver yet), but similar problems I have had with other software using
the 'read()' function.
One should really check for EAGAIN and try again (see libc.info).
That fixed that problem (error on read, same for write, device is then busy).

Running on a k6-2 450 with DMA disabled, MSI mobo, ALi chipset (kernel
switches of DMA) and no problems.
Harddisk light just blinks few times per second when recording with VDR.
Even to a windows partition.
Enabling DMA on THIS mobo messes up the harddisk, so read man hdparm first.

Am even playing mp3's at the same time, or running xmms, and setiathome
in the background.
While in win 98 with the original software, recording is unusable.
VDR is great, and the driver too of cause:-)
Jan

Home | Main Index | Thread Index