Re: Thoughts on VDR evolution - my 2 cent

Carsten Koch writes:
 > >  > I, too, would welcome Ralph's comments on speed and
 > >  > reliability of the OSD.
 > >
 > > Well, itīs slow and buggy :-)
 >
 > Yes.
 > I believe technotrend wrote it and convergence also has source?

Yes, but only for the "application" part. The library (RTSL) it builds
on is from TI and only available as binary (which by the way also
forces me to use a Windoze ARM C compiler with wine instead of gcc
for compiling the firmware).
The core of the firmware is in a ROM inside the TI chip and I
have no documentation for that.
This ROM actually contains the "real firmware" whose version is also
reported during driver initialization.
The file which gets loaded into the card is just called an
application in all the RTSL documentations.

 > Do you see any chance that either technotrend or convergence
 > may fix it in the near future?

We never got information from Technotrend. AFAIK, Convergence tried
to talk to them last year before I joined Convergence and there was
no interest in Linux. We got the sources from Siemens who had some
kind of cooperation with Technotrend (OK, thatīs obvious since they
produce identical cards).
I donīt know the exact details but neither Siemens or we will get
any further updates.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index