cat file > /dev/video maybe with gVideo ?

Hello,

some time ago I have asked about a possibility
to get a TV screen on the PC monitor that can
replace the TV connected to the DVB card. It should
be able to display whatever video datastreams are sent to
/dev/video. I have something in mind that can be
called like:
   tvscreen &
   cat file1 > /dev/video
   cat file2 > /dev/video

There was a suggestion, that kvdr can do this,
but actually it can not. kvdr needs a running vdr,
but already vdr blocks /dev/video, so that you
can not do what I want to (this is even true for
vdr started in daemon mode).

I have already asked Guido (the author of kvdr), if it
is possible to add the function I am interested in,
but he do not see an easy solution.

He suggested to patch gVideo, so that it can handle
named pipes as play file. (gVideo can not do this without
some kind of modification, I do not know why).

Now I wonder, if anybody already has such an gVideo patch ?

If so, please mail me!
Thanks a lot,
   Thomas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index