Re: satstuff not okay!

    [ Part 1, Text/PLAIN  63 lines. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

Hi, thanks for all the help so far!

Robin Edgar Tripany wrote:
      >........maybe i;m compiling wrong?

>It either compiles or it doesnt ;-)

maybe the placement of the files... eg. do i have to untar dvbd2 in DVB/
or DVB/driver/ ? it seems to work much better if i do it in DVB/driver/ -
this mail is the first one that tells me to untar it in DVB/driver/...
all the HOWTO webpages seem to be unreachable, so maybe it was in there,
i don't know...
      >I start by untarring the saa7146-0.5.tar.gz,

>.... whats this one?

the chipset drivers... i'm now leaving this one out...
      >Then i cd DVB (what the siemens drivers made) and cd
      libdvbmake and >make installcd ../drivermake then make
      install then make insmod

>OK.......... You should now hear the TV Audio from your connected
loudspeakers. >If you dont have speakers, connect a TV set to the
composite Output of the >Siemens card. You should now see a picture. If
this doesnt work, it makes no sense >to compile and install anything
else.
>Copy dvbd2.tar.gz to "/usr/local/src/DVB/driver/" and untar it there. Go
to the newly >created "dvbd" subdir and issue a "make", this should give
you the dvbd binary.

I get the sound (and presumably picture, but I don't have a TV here to
plug it into, but i've seen it work with gVideo before). dvbd seems to
compile fine... wierd, inserting the modules puts rp_filter=1 every
time...
      >......... I've compiled the dvbd.h with #define
      network_device "ppp0"
      >#define dvb_netdevice  "dvb0"but also no difference.

>This is a must! You must use the dvbd that has your "network_device"
compiled in, >in your case ppp0.

So so far so good!

>I keep getting a happy looking signal when i start dvbd,

>This can only be if you have the modules correctly inserted !
>Again: make sure (for the beginning) that you have a working connection
to the >Internet, i.e. that you can ping to the outer world, without any
firewalling, proxies >and the like. AFTER you have started your ppp and
you have a live connection to >the Internet you may insert the modules,
be sure you have removed them before.
>You MUST now be able to watch TV, with gVideo or an external TV-set.
Time to >start dvbd now. The TV audio and video drops and now you can
ping the proxy. >Again: You must have a live connection to the Internet
before inserting the modules. >Everything looks great if your connection
to the Internet is down, the modules are >inserted, dvbd is running fine
but you cannot ping the proxy, for reasons that I have >explained in a
recent e-mail.

I'm most definately online, can always ping www.europeonline.net and any
other domain, ip or whatever... so no problems there. However (prepare
for stupid comment) I don't know how to disable my firewall! have to try
that still then.... because i'm just not getting any ping replies :( Only
the modules being inserted appear in /var/log/messages, but starting dvbd
has no effect on /var/log/messages. Is this significant?

>Good luck,

cheers i need it

Home | Main Index | Thread Index