[linux-dvb] gVideo 0.71 <-> dvdplayer 0.29

If anyone want to see a DVD movie on the screen (along with the AC3
sound), I have an improved solution of Thomas ideea ...

# Create a named pipe file.
mknod /pipe p (wherever you want)
# Start gVideo
./gVideo
# Open tuxplayer
Option->tuxplayer
# Set Play file in tuxPlayer
File->Set Play File-> "/pipe"
# Press play
;-)
# Open another terminal window
<xterm>
# Start dvdplayer
./dvdplayer -a 0 -s 0 -c -f /dvd/video_ts/vts_01_1.vob -d /pipe
# Ready !

Until this step, the both "play" and "stop" buttons of tuxplayer should
look pressed. When the stream start, the "stop" button will be showed
unpressed.
Subtitles are missing (for me, at least), but the sound will work fine,
along with the video part.
This solution works for me, I don't know about others.

Anyone have, at the momment, a better solution ?

Thanks for the tip, Thomas !
And I think this solve your demand about a window frame around it !

Regards,

Doru Marin.

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Thomas Schuett wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as I was just trying to patch gVideo (see my mail before), I found
> the following, what most people may call a bug. Actually it gives
> exactly the behaviour I want:
>
> mknod /pipe p
> gVideo
>    play File > open /pipe
> cat somerecord > /pipe
> stop the cat with CTRL-C
> *then* stop gVideo with CTRL-C (not with the GUI Quit!)
>
> Result: A window (without window frame) keeps staying open on the monitor.
> It displays the recent TV broadcast. When I "cat file > /dev/video", it displays
> the file. And the best: When I start vdr, I can even see the vdr menu in this
> window. This is 98% what I want :-)))
> Only problem: I would like to have a window frame around it, so I can
> reposition, resize, iconize and close it.
> And of course, I would like to have an easier procedure
> to get this window ;-)
>
> cu,
>   Thomas

---