[linux-dvb] korrupt MPEG2 Stream

Axel Gruber writes:
 > First: Sorry for my bad technical English - but i think its better to write
 > here in English :-)
 >
 > Ok
 >
 > I have tryed to work with the recorded streams of the 0.7 driver. If i
 > record with the "Outstream=1" option i geht the transport-Stream. Then i copy
 > the file to my Windows-Machine and run the Programm "PVA2MPG" this is a
 > simple programm to convert PVA Streams to real MPEG2.
 >
 > The File i get with this procedure is ok - and i can work with it (convert
 > to DIVX or MPEG1.
 >
 > No i try to use the 07 Driver without the option - so i should geht a
 > "real" Mpeg2 file without any other software. but wiht this file i have much
 > problems:
 >
 > - No one of the Encoder i have work with this file right
 > - I only can playback it with the ASUS DVD-Player all other players hang
 > up
 > - i have tryed to remux the file with BBMPEG but also BBMPEG says itīs a
 > corrupt file.
 >
 > Yesterday i have tryed the new Driver 08 - but with the same result.
 >
 > PS: for testing i capture with:"cat /dev/video0 > /test...."
 >
 > Does anyone know this problem or is this a real Driver problem.. ?

It seems that some playback programs require a sequence header at the
start of the mpg file. Since I do the conversion in the driver, I do
not want to waste kernel time by looking at the entire stream to find such a
header. This is why the files usually don't start with a sequence
header. I am currently (when vacation is over) writing a remuxing
program that will be in the av_pes2any package and probably solve this
problem among others. I don't think it will be put in the driver
though. It just requires to much memory and time to do this at that
point.
On the other hand, I couldn't find any requirement in the specs
that the first bytes of the first PES of a PS have to be a sequence
header. Sure, it is convenient for playback , so that you can
determine resolution, bit rate and such, but it is not required, as
far as I can see.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de