[linux-dvb] Re: korrupt MPEG2 Stream

Martin Kuhne writes:
 > Inisting on specs and standards may be the Right Thing technically. Let the
 > others fix their broken software.
 > However, it's a bad service to your users/customers. They are stuck with
 > incompatible software and they don't care whose fault it may be.

So, I am supposed to go out and buy any Windoze MPEG2 software and see
if there might be a problem?
I tested it with one Windoze MPEG2 player which I was forced to buy with
another product. It works. That's more than enough considering people
with that operating system are not our intended users.

Again, you are getting a GPLed driver with sample applications for
free in the hope something useful for everybody grows out of it (like
Klaus' great VDR project).
And we have the audacity not to supply free service for any kind of
problem on top of it. Wow, really bad service.

Hmm, that reminds me of those funny mails from people asking me for
Windoze support for their Bt848 cards because they did not want to buy
SDKs from the manufacturers. They are probably mad that their mail
went to /dev/null and they never heard from me (well, I was too
busy ROTFL ...).

If you are a customer who wants something fixed that's another matter. But
even he would have to supply samples, maybe give access to the
software/hardware which doesn't work with our code, etc.
>From other users I also expect at least a detailed bug report which
gives me some hint about the problem. "Doesn't work" isn't really
helpful in most cases. In most other cases I think we always provided
quick fixes, even to problems which are still not fixed on this great
"professionally used and expensive" other operating system.
But if the problem only occurs with some exotic and expensive
non-Linux software, there is nothing I can/will do about it.

Ralph

Disclaimer:
I am still on vacation, not officially speaking for Convergence
and I am writing this purely for more own entertainment and
requiescence :-)

---