[linux-dvb] Re: korrupt MPEG2 Stream

"Marcus O.C. Metzler" wrote:

> Axel Gruber writes:
>  > First: Sorry for my bad technical English - but i think its better to write
>  > here in English :-)
>  >
>  > Ok
>  >
>  > I have tryed to work with the recorded streams of the 0.7 driver. If i
>  > record with the "Outstream=1" option i geht the transport-Stream. Then i copy
>  > the file to my Windows-Machine and run the Programm "PVA2MPG" this is a
>  > simple programm to convert PVA Streams to real MPEG2.
>  >
>  > The File i get with this procedure is ok - and i can work with it (convert
>  > to DIVX or MPEG1.
>  >
>  > No i try to use the 07 Driver without the option - so i should geht a
>  > "real" Mpeg2 file without any other software. but wiht this file i have much
>  > problems:
>  >
>  > - No one of the Encoder i have work with this file right
>  > - I only can playback it with the ASUS DVD-Player all other players hang
>  > up
>  > - i have tryed to remux the file with BBMPEG but also BBMPEG says itīs a
>  > corrupt file.
>  >
>  > Yesterday i have tryed the new Driver 08 - but with the same result.
>  >
>  > PS: for testing i capture with:"cat /dev/video0 > /test...."
>  >
>  > Does anyone know this problem or is this a real Driver problem.. ?
>  >
> It seems that some playback programs require a sequence header at the
> start of the mpg file. Since I do the conversion in the driver, I do
> not want to waste kernel time by looking at the entire stream to find such a
> header. This is why the files usually don't start with a sequence
> header. I am currently (when vacation is over) writing a remuxing
> program that will be in the av_pes2any package and probably solve this
> problem among others. I don't think it will be put in the driver
> though. It just requires to much memory and time to do this at that
> point.
> On the other hand, I couldn't find any requirement in the specs
> that the first bytes of the first PES of a PS have to be a sequence
> header. Sure, it is convenient for playback , so that you can
> determine resolution, bit rate and such, but it is not required, as
> far as I can see.
>
> Marcus

Maybe that's a task VDR could do? VDR already scans the MPEG data
stream to find the location of every frame, so if the problem could be
solved by simply inserting or prepending some additional bytes, I guess
that could be done easily in VDR. All I would need is the information
what to insert where.

Klaus