[linux-dvb] Re: Outcommand ; Record Buffer full ; DVB 0.71 ; DVB 0.80 and VDR

Stefan.Hagendorn@lindy.cc wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> now I detected Outcommand Errors in the Night and the driver stops
> responding ans sometimes my Box hangs ... an all cause I switched to SVHS
> Output :-(
>
> Ok here the Story again ... :
>
> - Switched to DVB 0.80
> - Driver works with SVHS Output (new module parm.) without Problem
> - VDR don't work with Driver 0.80 (Klaus ?!?!)

Did you add 'outstream=1' in the Makefile?
Without that, the current (0.68) version of VDR can't record.

> - Back to driver 0.71 (modified with "VidMode(dvb, 2)")
> - I get Kernelerrors "Record buffer full" no matter if I load VDR
> - After loading VDR and replaying a recorded Stream the "Record buffer
> full" Errors are gone
> - Sometimes at Night Time the driver gets "Outcommand Errors"

That's probably because VDR scans the channels for EPG data and therefore
switches channels every 20 seconds. Looks like there's still a problem in
the driver when channels are switched that intensively. You can set the
"EPGScanTimeout" parameter (in the "Setup" menu) to a large value (say, 50)
to disable this feature.

> - Sometimes the Driver didn't respond anymore.
>
> Ok PPL ... what schould I do now .. what will the sollution ... will it be
> the new VDR ??

The next version (0.7) of VDR will be PES based (no more 'outstream=1').
However, since there are still problems with recording, e.g., the ZDF channel
in PES mode (see the respective threads on the list) I'm hesitating to release
that new version before the driver problems are solved.

The "Outcommand Errors" probably won't be fixed by the new VDR version, since
I haven't changed anything in that area (I assume these will have to be fixed in
the driver).

Klaus