[linux-dvb] Re: Problems with vdr 0.7 and driver 0.81.

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Carsten Koch wrote:
> >
> > Since I installed vdr 0.7 and driver 0.81, the driver only
> > works reasonably for about 4 hours after each reload.
> > Immediadely after a reload, I can record, play back, switch
> > channels, use the OSD just fine.
> >
> > After I leave the thing alone for a while, I see all kinds
> > of strange effects. One of them has been described by Guido
> > in his previous post.
> >
> > Another one is that vdr starts putting
> >           ERROR: channel <n> not sync'ed (front.sync=0)!
> > messages into /var/log/messages about once every 5 seconds
> > and the driver starts putting messages like these
> >           kernel: commandrequest error
> >           kernel: dvb: filter shutdown error :0
> >           kernel: outcommand error 1
> >           kernel: commandrequest error
> >           kernel: dvb: ARM RESET
> >           kernel: dvb: filter shutdown error :0
> >           kernel: dvb: filter shutdown error :65535
> > into /var/log/messages about once every 20 minutes.
> >
> > Needless to say that recording, etc. stops working of course
> > once the system starts putting these messages into the log.
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing this?
> >
> > I am using 2 dvb-s cards and kernel 2.216.
>
> I also use 2 DVB cards (kernel 2.2.13).
> I do get this error once every few days.
> It must originate from the EPG scanner's attempt to switch channels.
> The driver issues a 'commandrequest error' and from then on it
> doesn't work any more. Reloading the driver cures it - until next time.
> I don't know what I could change in VDR to avoid this...

Here is an idea:
  Until the driver is stable enough to survive its normal use
  by vdr for a long time, we could write a startup script for
  vdr, that
      1.  loads the driver......  make insmod
      2.  waits for one minute..  sleep 60
      3.  brings up vdr.........  vdr -v /video ...
      4.  reloads the driver....  make reload
      5.  goes back to step 2 above

  At the same time, we could change vdr, so it ends itself
  normally when it detects any error or when all of these
  conditions are met:
      *   The current wall clock minute is 00
      *   The user has not pressed any remote control button
          during the previous hour
      *   There has not been any svdrp traffic
          during the previous hour
      *   vdr is not replaying or recording

I know this is an ugly workaround, but I believe it would help
a lot. It would not only work around the driver problems, it
would also automatically restart vdr after a crash.

What do you think?

Carsten.

---