[linux-dvb] Re: CVS&Doc

Hi Andreas

> > First of all, what is the address of the cvs for the dvb-driver?
>
> it is linked on the website: developers -> cvs:
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/cvs/

Sorry, didn't see it...

> > Second, why is just this damn old version of the driver in the
> > download-directory of linuxtv?
>
> because nobody found a significant payoff in releasing a new driver version.
> cvs reflects the cutting edge and may not be stable or may even not compile.

But it doesn't compile under 2.4 and I'm pretty sure you smart guys managed it to
get it working under 2.4...

> > Third, why is the documentation still that bad?
>
> because nobody takes this job serious enough to stop his/her work for. what
> about you?

I would do so...
But, because I'm just a User and just using the Internet-thing, I don't have the
knowledge about what is really used by what..

> ok, it seems you are the right person for this job. lets do it together with
> me. we write down a step-by-step documentation on how to set up all the dvb
> stuff a regular user needs. i assist you as far as i'm able to.

I could&would do this job, but I can just write down what I did to get the
sat-downstream working...
And I think its the baddest solution you could find.. At least it crashes once a
day...

> 1) supported cards

ok

> 2) HOWTO install the driver

ok

> 3) HOWTO install applications and use them (gVideo, tuxzap, xawtv, ... )

I don't use them

> 4) other usefull things to know: file conversions etc.

What do you mean by this?

> 5) watching encrypted services

I don't use this too

> ok Karsten, lets become rich & famous for our high quality installation
> guideline.

I'm ready

> (all the stuff we need to know is somewhere written in the sources, so all we
> have to do is collecting them.)
>
> Andreas.

Karsten

---