[linux-dvb] AW: Re: Minimum system

Hello Emil,

I am also thinking of setting up a linux based VDR.
Currently I am using a K6-2/300 with a videologic card
to watch DVD and playback MP3. AFAIK the videologic/
hollywood+ card is not fully supported by linux (only
DVD playback and no AC3). So I will setup a dualboot
machine.

> I think we need something very small and quiet in the living room. I am
> also thinking about splitting the functionality. A small diskless box
> with one SAT card in the living room and other places and a server with
> integrated into this. For the small box I have already thought about the
> use of CompactPCI components. Just a CPU board, a CompactPCI/PCI adapter
> and a DVB Card. The CPU board contains everything which is on a normal
> CPU board including 100BaseT and graphic. Combine this with a
> LCD-Display and a IR control and a proper housing and this would make a
> very compact system. The Linux system could be loaded into flash if
> necessary. I don't know the prices of the components yet.
I was also thinking of such a design. I have been looking for a "pizza box"
computer case with a riser card. But haven't found an satisfying solution.
In c't 02/2001, page 27, two FlexATX board were mentioned. The board look
quite nice and has everything you need (LAN, VGA, 2xPCI).

I have also found a 32MB flashdrive, with an ATA connector (just plug it
in the mainboard ATA-connector). Should cost arround DM 250,-. If you
really want a "diskless" station, this seems a good solution though it
is not cheap.

cu

Jens

---