[linux-dvb] Re: DVD drive recommendations?

Matthias Weingart wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> take a look in the current ct magazine 5 (page 154). DVD-drives that are
> patchable (to remove countrycode) are marked :-) Firmware patches for
> DVD-drives are available from www.firmware.com.bi
> Funny and simple: The Asus drive DVD-E612 has a jumper for this.
>  I would prefer the LG DRD-8120B - it is fast, quiet, able to read all
> sorts of media and patchable. Anybody here that have experiences with that
> drive in linux?
>
>         Matthias

Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiry.

According to the c't 5/2001 test it would seem that the DRD-8120B would
actually be the best choice. The only drawback at the moment appears to
be that the drive can't be made permanently "code-free", but can only be
"reset" after the allowed number of code changes have been done. There is
a Windoze program available at http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/zozo00/8120b.htm
which does that, but that would mean I would have to take the drive out
of my VDR computer and temporarily attach it to a Windoze machine just
in order to reset it... :-(

Does anybody know of a Linux utility that does the same thing?
In that case it wouldn't matter that the drive couldn't be made
permanently code-free, since I could just call the utility whenever necessary.

Has anybody actually got that drive and done the patch?

Klaus