[linux-dvb] Re: What DVB-S-Card, some questions remain

Am 28.02.01, schrieb Matthias Weingart <matthias@pentax.boerde.de> ...

> > I understand the Hauppauge DVB-s has the Siemens-Fujitsu chip which has
been
> > provided with documentation. This card is rather expensive and some
> > questions remain which I like to ask anyone of you:

> no. The hardware of all cards called (DVB-s) from Siemens / Haupauge /
> Technotrend is the same. Only the enclosed software is different.

Really?? I mean... I've seen several photos of those cards on lots of
websites and there are differences. On some photos, the J2-Jumpers are
equipped with connector-pins, on some there are only tho soldering-points
on the board. On some pictures (Hauppauge and Technotrend I believe)
there is a big black connector for the CI-module, on some there are only
4 rows of soldering-pins (this tould also mean the connector is on the
other side of the board?).
So.. are the cards really the same?? Especially... when I order a
CI-Module from Siemens, can I connect it to my Hauppauge-card?

> I think technotrend is the developer of the hardware.

At least this is what one can read everywhere. If you have a look at the
Philips-Sylt-Reference-Board, it looks like TT haven't modified it too
much :-)

> > 2.) Is there a real Siemens-Fujitsu-card available?

> Yes: http://www.pc-werksverkauf.de

Maybe nice if you live in Augsburg or Munich... ordering seems to be a
bit difficult there. When I tried last friday, neither the fax-machine
nor the telephone was answered until the afternoon.. then I finally
managed to get my fax through. But no answer until now :-(

> The "budget" cards vailable from Haupauge is supported, but did not have
> an MPEG decoder on board (decoding is done in sw and need some cpu power)
> and you can not use CI-CAM to decode encrypted channels.

I already asked this here... has anybody tried this card with vdr (as
secondary card, only for recording and epg-scanning) and does it work?

> There are 2 options:
> - buy one of the siemens / Haupauge / technotrend cards (hardware and
> price is almost the same)
> - or buy the cheaper "budget" card

This depends on what one wants to do. If you want to watch something with
VDR, I think you must have at least one "full-version" of the card.

Greetings,      Marcus

---