[linux-dvb] Re: What DVB-S-Card, some questions remain

This questions are already answered in this forum in the last 2 weeks,
please go through the archive too.
I think we need a faq urgently :-/ I can collect some questions and
answers in a file together.. and put it on my homepage.
(many linux faq's available in the net look similar - is there a tool to
create nice looking, multiformat (html,txt) faq's?)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Benjamin Harling wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I understand the Hauppauge DVB-s has the Siemens-Fujitsu chip which has been
> provided with documentation. This card is rather expensive and some
> questions remain which I like to ask anyone of you:

no. The hardware of all cards called (DVB-s) from Siemens / Haupauge /
Technotrend is the same. Only the enclosed software is different.
I think technotrend is the developer of the hardware.

> 1.) Is the card mentioned, one of those "moraly" right (because it has the
> chips documentation was provided for?

Siemens did support the driver developers - so it is morally good only
to buy the Siemens card.

Yes: http://www.pc-werksverkauf.de

> 3.) Are there alternatives? Like e.g. the Hauppauge WinTV Nova? I read that
> Terratec-cards are being supported but I haven't seen one with DVB-s support
> on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Haupauge DVB-s has the same Hardware as the siemens card. Only the
enclosed software (windows only) is different.

The "budget" cards vailable from Haupauge is supported, but did not have
an MPEG decoder on board (decoding is done in sw and need some cpu power)
and you can not use CI-CAM to decode encrypted channels.

> So I'm a bit confused whether I just should go out and buy the WinTV DVB-s
> or shop for a different, possibly cheaper card.

There are 2 options:
- buy one of the siemens / Haupauge / technotrend cards (hardware and
price is almost the same)
- or buy the cheaper "budget" card

Matthias

---