[linux-dvb] Re: What DVB-S-Card, some questions remain

Benjamin Harling <benjamin.harling@web.de> writes:

> I understand the Hauppauge DVB-s has the Siemens-Fujitsu chip which has been
> provided with documentation. This card is rather expensive and some questions
> remain which I like to ask anyone of you:

Our driver works with the Siemens Fujitsu card and cards that are identical to
it (e.g. from Hauppauge, Technotrend, Galaxis and as far as I can see from the
picture the Technisat Sky Star 1). Those cards use a Texas Instruments AV7110
MPEG2 Hardware decoder chip.

> 1.) Is the card mentioned, one of those "moraly" right (because it has the
> chips documentation was provided for?

The Siemens guys who gave us the documentation for the DVB card.

> 2.) Is there a real Siemens-Fujitsu-card available?

Yes. But sometimes it is hard to get (especially outside of Germany).

I think, it is morally right to buy another card if you use it under Linux.

> 3.) Are there alternatives? Like e.g. the Hauppauge WinTV Nova?

The WinTV Nova is supported by our driver. It does not have the AV7110 MPEG2
decoder, so if you want to watch TV with it, you need a fast CPU and a software
MPEG2 decoder.

> I read that Terratec-cards are being supported but I haven't seen one with
> DVB-s support on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you are wrong.

yours sincerely

Martin Springer
--
Whatever you're up to in the next twenty-four hours, I hope it's profitable.
(Richard Quest, BBC)

---