[linux-dvb] Re: Increasing width of OSD with VDR

Emil Naepflein wrote:
> So the only option to get more info into the OSD-Menu box is to use a
> smaller font.

Not quite. If you have a fast CPU, you can encode a full
screen of OSD information as an I-frame and display that.
Of course, that would preclude a life video background.
I guess having a life background is nice for some things
and less important for others. For example, the EPG and
the recordings menu are much too small and I usually bring
them up when I do not want to watch the current life video
anyway.
So maybe for just those two it would be great to have a
larger resolution OSD?

> If I find time I will trim it down somewhat. A smaller
> font is no problem for me with a screen 2.43 m wide. :)

The width of your screen is not the main factor. I have
a crisp and clear TFT monitor here on my desk that shows
1600 pixels in a width of only 37 cm.
The DVB-S card, however, will give you at most 720x576,
no matter how wide your screen is.
Having said that, I agree that the font could be slightly
smaller and would still be quite readable.

Klaus, I am sure you have experimented with that.
What is your opinion?

Carsten.