[linux-dvb] Re: VDR 0.80pre8, current CVS OSD problems

Henning Holtschneider wrote:
> it seems as if the memory re-arrangements in the current CVS have already
> killed VDR's on-screen display. I just tried VDR 0.80pre8 with the current
> CVS and I only get the small channel info display when switching between
> channels.

I might have mentioned the following idea here before:
Would it not be sufficient to have a transparent OSD
with video background for the two small displays
(channel info at the top and replay status at the bottom)?

For the other ones, in particular the recordings menu
and the EPG, the current space is barely enough and I
would *love* to see more info per page and I would
gladly give up the live video background when using
the recordings menu or the EPG (after all, I brought
them up anyway because I want to watch something else).
If that also buys us more firmware memory and thus
gets rid of the dreaded A/V dropouts, would that not
be just wonderful?

Does everyone (and of course in particular, Klaus)
agree with this? If yes, how hard might it be to extend
VDRs OSD classes so they can create an I-frame and
display it as still video for the "big" menus while
still using the old OSD for the small status displays?

How would that perform?
How long does it take on an average (say 300 MHz) machine
to create a full-PAL-size I-frame?
Would it even perform better than the current OSD on
some machines?

Just a thought.

Carsten.