[linux-dvb] Re: Increasing width of OSD with VDR

On Wednesday 02 May 2001 10:11 am, you wrote:
> This is not so much a question of screen with as of the actual pixel
> resolution. With the current font, all horizontal lines are at least
> two pixels high. If there are horizontal lines that are only one pixel
> in height, that might cause very annoying flicker, since the picture
> is interlaced. I tried that once and it wasn't very good. But maybe
> you can come up with a smaller font that doesn't flicker...

An alternative method (which has been mentioned on this list before), is to
use the TV-OUT of your graphics card (if you have one), and then use your
graphics card to generate the OSD.

I've been experimenting with DirectFB and the port of gdk for DirectFB to do
just this.  Using the example programs included with both projects, I've
managed to hack together a "proof-of-concept" test program that overlays
alpha-blended GTK windows onto live full-screen video from the DVB-S card -
all in about 100 lines of code.

I don't have a VGA card with TV-OUT, so I can't comment on what the quality
will be like, but it is looking good on my monitor (I have a 3dfx Voodoo
Banshee card).  Hopefully there are graphics cards out there with TV-OUTs
that can match the DVB-S card's TV-OUT.

Regards,

Dave.