[linux-dvb] Re: trying to get dvb and vdr to work

Henning Holtschneider wrote:

> > The 2.1 DVB PCI cards use a STV0299 demodulator which isn't supported by
> > the 0.8.2 driver, but the new 0.9 driver in CVS does have support for
> > the STV0299 although you will have to use a beta version of vdr (e.g VDR
> > 0.80pre4) which supports the new API of the 0.9 driver. Alternatively
> > you could do a backport of the STV0299 support in 0.9 to the 0.8.2
> > driver, when I did it, it only took a few minutes.
>
> Could you post some details on how to do this or post a patch against the
> release version of the DVB driver? I have serious channel switching problems
> with the CVS driver and I would like to find out if it works better with the
> 0.8.2 driver ..

Basically you have to copy files and modify sections of code dealing
with the STV0299 demodulator and TSA5059 tuner.

I copied VES1820.c, VES1893.c, stv0299.c & dvb_demodulator.h files from
the 0.9 driver to the 0.8.2.

Have a look at 0.9's dvb.c and search for I2C_DRIVERID_STV0299 and do
similar modifications in 0.8.2's dvb.c. For a final confirmation that
you have modified everything in dvb.c, everywhere there is an occurrence
of I2C_DRIVERID_VES1893 there should be similar code for
I2C_DRIVERID_STV0299 nearby.

modify 0.8.2's tuner.h, add the following line (which is from 0.9's
tuner.h):
#define TUNER_TSA5059 18

Have a look at 0.9's tuner.c and search for TSA5059 and do similar
modifications in 0.8.2's tuner.c.

Also driver/Makefile needs to be modified, see where stv0299 is used in
the new Makefile and put it in the 0.8.2's Makefile.

I haven't tested the modifications to 0.8.2 driver with VDR, I was more
concerned with studying/filtering MPEG2 PSI/DVB SI packets with my own
little program, but assume it should work.

I would have supplied a patch file, but I never got around to finishing
an install of a fresh copy of Mandrake 8 over the weekend.

Doug.