[linux-dvb] Re: Lifetime timer

On Tue, 22 May 2001 23:22:17 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger
<Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

> I believe that both fields add useful functionality and don't want to drop
> either of them. Somehow I like the idea of being able to set a guranteed
> lifetime, no matter what else might happen.

Yes, I use this feature very often.

> Once the lifetime has been exceeded, a recording can be erased by any
> other recording, no matter what priority it has. If there is more than
> one recording that has exceeded its lifetime, the one with the lowest
> priority will be erased first.

A nice feature would be here to change this settings after a recording
was done.

> Sounds reasonable. I would suggest to use the special value of 0 for the lifetime
> parameter to control this. That way, if you always use Lifetime = 0 it would
> behave as if that parameter didn't exist and deletion would be controlled only
> through the Priority parameter. If you set Lifetime = [1..98] the
> recording would get that guaranteed lifetime, and the special value of 99
> would mean "unlimited" lifetime. Adding new Setup parameters for the default
> lifetime and priority would complete this.

I have an additional idea:
For some regular recordings like the last news or other repeated
recordings it would be nice to have a setting that a recording is
deleted exactly after the number of days specified independend from how
much disk space is available. This avoids filling up the recordings menu
with a lot of recordings that are useless after some days. Maybe this
wouldn't be necessary if the recordings menu would have some hierachy
where recordings with the same name would be shown collapsed. But the
deletion after a exact number of days seems to be a useful feature
anyway. This can probably be selected by using priority 0 without
extending the recording menu.

Emil