[linux-dvb] Re: Lifetime timer

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> First i would suggest to drop one of the fields. (Lifetime ist absolutly
> useless in my eyes (OK. I'm biased as i move the recording immediatly from
> the 2 DVB-Computer to my "workstation" and archive the "interesting" ones
> to CD-R. I have a total capacity of nearly 200GB and hardly more than 20GB
> is used at every given point in time.))

I believe that both fields add useful functionality and don't want to drop
either of them. Somehow I like the idea of being able to set a guranteed
lifetime, no matter what else might happen.

> Then you only have ONE Value for chosing "priority" (And you should use
> the middle of "50" for default priority and not the highest possibel
> value)

You're right, I'll do that.

> In the current case a
>
> 00:00 Timer would erase a
>
> 99:99 Recording if it is older than 99 Days (If i unsterstood it
>                                              correctly!)
> (Or does it need a 01:00, 99:00, 01:01, 99:01 -timer?)

Once the lifetime has been exceeded, a recording can be erased by any
other recording, no matter what priority it has. If there is more than
one recording that has exceeded its lifetime, the one with the lowest
priority will be erased first.

> With one value everything is much more "straitforward"
>
> for e.g. you have this recordings
>
> A:99
> B:50
> C:60
> D:60
> E:99
>
> and the disc-space isn't "enough" for a "new" recording. With a priority
> of 51 or more the new recrding would "win" and the B recording would be
> deleted. Otherwise the new recording would "lose" the game.

Sounds reasonable. I would suggest to use the special value of 0 for the lifetime
parameter to control this. That way, if you always use Lifetime = 0 it would
behave as if that parameter didn't exist and deletion would be controlled only
through the Priority parameter. If you set Lifetime = [1..98] the
recording would get that guaranteed lifetime, and the special value of 99
would mean "unlimited" lifetime. Adding new Setup parameters for the default
lifetime and priority would complete this.

Klaus