[linux-dvb] Re: Lifetime timer

> > Is a recording deleted automatically when its lifetime is expired or
> > only when the harddrive is full? I want to keep some recordings for
> > longer than 99 days, is there no setting which guarantees this?
>
> A recording is only deleted automatically if its guaranteed lifetime
> has expired and a new recording actually needs the disk space.
> If you always make sure there is enough free disk space (by manually deleting
> recordings you no longer need) then you can preserve important ones.
>
> I could modify VDR in a way that a lifetime of 99 means "unlimited".
> That wouldn't mean much loss, one can always use 98 for a pretty "long"
> lifetime, and 99 would make absolutely sure the recording will never
> be deleted automatically.

You know that you have a problem here?

First i would suggest to drop one of the fields. (Lifetime ist absolutly
useless in my eyes (OK. I'm biased as i move the recording immediatly from
the 2 DVB-Computer to my "workstation" and archive the "interesting" ones
to CD-R. I have a total capacity of nearly 200GB and hardly more than 20GB
is used at every given point in time.))

Then you only have ONE Value for chosing "priority" (And you should use
the middle of "50" for default priority and not the highest possibel
value)

In the current case a

00:00 Timer would erase a

99:99 Recording if it is older than 99 Days (If i unsterstood it
                                             correctly!)
(Or does it need a 01:00, 99:00, 01:01, 99:01 -timer?)

With one value everything is much more "straitforward"

for e.g. you have this recordings