[linux-dvb] Re: VDR suggestion - record to TS?

Dave Chapman wrote:

> Klaus,
>
> Have you considered the option of abandoning on-the-fly remuxing in VDR and
> just recording the TS directly?  This would at least free your time to
> concentrate on getting a stable VDR working with the latest drivers.
>
> My theory is that if VDR doesn't do anything to the stream delivered by the
> driver, then the driver shouldn't complain when VDR gives it back.  Also, as
> i understand it, the budget cards would give perfect recordings, as the
> driver delivers the TS packets as received from the satellite.
>
> You could consider this either a temporary measure until the remuxing issue
> is resolved, or a permanent change to using a TS format (with the advantage
> of easily allowing the recording of additional streams, e.g. second audio or
> teletext).
>
> VDR could easily playback both TS files (using /dev/ost/dvr) and PES files
> (using /dev/osd/video), so no existing recordings would need to be converted.
> There will, of course, be problems for users who need to use the recorded
> streams with applications that don't support TS files, but external
> conversion utilities are available.
>
> What do you (and other VDR users) think?  Is the PES format too useful to
> abandon?

I don't think switching to TS format for recordings is such a good idea.
After all, VDR must determine the frame borders in order to allow
fast forward/back etc. So it has to unpack the TS, anyway.

I have done a lot of fine tuning over the weekend and now it looks like
the recorded files are quite good. I'll announce that in a separate message.

Klaus